I love the start of a new school year because it allows my family and I to return to our schedules and routines. Don’t get me wrong, we love summer! Summertime creates a much-needed break from our school and work routines but Autumn offers an opportunity to regroup, refocus and return to normal day to day life.
There is this fantasy that I have usually every Spring that I will get so much done over the summer, or I will travel here or there, or organize this and that. I didn’t accomplish quite as much as I had hoped this summer. Seems like I rarely do, which is okay too! This summer I focused on my family and creating memories with them. While I truly enjoyed the hustle and bustle and all of the outings, it didn’t allow much time for just me.
That is why I am focusing on Self-Care this month.
After the not so relaxing running around making memories pace of the summer, I am feeling a bit depleted. I am feeling the need to recharge myself and to create MORE BALANCE! I write in my book, “Need More Time?” that one of the top reasons why relationships fail is because of a lack of self-care. One of the top reasons why businesses fail is burn out due to…you guessed it, lack of self-care! We waste so much time by not taking care of ourselves and planning for our health and wellness. When we deplete our “natural supply” of wellness, we invite imbalance to replace it. That imbalance comes in the form of sleep deprivation, anxiety, illness, lack of focus, etc.
I don’t know about you, but when my life is out of sorts, I am pretty joy-less. My guess is that you feel the same. It is impossible to feel joy when life is filled with chaos, disorder, and imbalance. There can be moments of happiness, of course, but imbalance doesn’t really leave you with much room for that Big, Crazy, Pure joy. Imbalance only has enough room for the instability it creates.
Related Blogs: Life Happens, Life Balance, is it even really possible?
Do you ever miscommunicate because you are overtired or feel out of control? Have you ever made mistakes because you have lost focus from being maxed out? Do you ever feel overworked? Do you ever feel like you are always just trying to catch up?
If you said yes to any of these questions then this is a clear indication that your life is imbalanced. There are many ways to regroup and create balance. When we are overstretched we can utilize these tools and return to balance.
My Top 5 Secrets to Creating Balance:
There are hundreds of ways to insert balance into your life and I am not going to go through them all here but I do want to share with you the top 5 secret tools that everyone can utilize to create a more balanced life. You can design these tools to suit you, your life, and your lifestyle. These tools can be used as the most basic ways to reset your life, to create more room for the good in your life and to eliminate the mind clutter of your life. These tools will help you create balance.
Check them out:
- Eat. Don’t just eat anything, eat to nourish your body not to suppress it. I am NOT a dietician at all but I do know that eating foods that are not healthy for you to contribute to the dis-ease of your body. Eating whole foods that nourish you, contributes to your health and overall balance. When your physiological processes are working well, the closer you will be to creating a homeostatic environment in your body aka balance.
- Sleep. It is vital to your survival. Your body resets itself when you sleep thus giving you the best possible chance to start the next day balanced and ready to take on the world. Don’t skimp on sleep because your body will do whatever it takes to get those 7-8 hours of shut-eye.
- Move. Movement of any kind helps to create balance and makes your physical being stronger. Move how you want to, not how you think you should. If you want to exercise your body by doing salsa dancing every Tuesday night, then go for it! The point is to get your body moving, your heart pumping and your muscles working.
- Routine. There are SO MANY articles on this subject. I have read nearly all of them. Let me save you the trouble and give you the breakdown. Having a morning routine is a critical component to creating balance in your life. A morning routine sets up a successful day. There are countless suggestions on what to include in your morning routine but here is my recommendation. Do what makes you happy. You may need to experiment to see what works best for you but ultimately do what makes you feeling like you can tackle your world and make it a better place. When trying out what works for you in the morning, remember the ultimate goal is to set your self up for a good day. That might include working out, meditation or being in nature. You get to design this to suit what will work best for you. How fabulous is that?
- Date. Create a recurring opportunity for you to take yourself “out”. It might be daily, weekly, monthly or quarterly but make sure YOU create time just for YOU. This time is for you to refuel your energy supply, to reconnect to you and to quiet down all of the outside demands on you. What would I even do? This is the question I get most often when I suggest this and that is a fabulous question! It is that mindset, however, that tells me instantly that your life is out of balance. “Dating” yourself and trying out new things, places, etc will help create a list that you do enjoy experiencing. Engaging in a relationship with yourself and recognizing that you are a priority will make your cup overflow! You will fill that cup right up and be better for it. It is in this dating yourself part of your balance journey that you get to play around with the hundreds of self-care ideas that are everywhere.
These tools are basic but essential to building a foundation of balance. In that balance you will find yourself, health, prosperity, and JOY! Throughout the month of September, I will be sharing some things that I enjoy doing to create balance and more room for joy in my life. I would love to hear what works for you and what helps you feel a bit more even, balanced and joyful in your life. As always, I welcome your questions and feedback and look forward to talking with you soon.